Depart from US: January 20, 2013
Arrive in Edinburgh: January 21
Arcadia Orientation: January 21-23
University Orientation: January 24-27
Semester Start: January 28
Semester Break: March 18-29
Semester End: May 31
Program Concludes/Return Flight to US: June 1
Depart: September 2, 2013
Arrive in Edinburgh: September 3
Arcadia Orientation: September 3-6
Homestay: September 4-7
University Orientation: September 8
Semester Start: September 23
Semester End: December 20
Program Concludes/Return Flight: December 21
This program is offered as part of the affiliation agreement with Arcadia University's College of Global Studies. St. Andrews is one of the top universities in the United Kingdom, founded in 1413. It is located on the east coast of Scotland, bordered by sandy beaches and the North Sea.This program features a broad range of course offerings on a campus fully integrated with the city.
St. Andrews is a city of old stone buildings and narrow lanes, a bustling market town which maintains a medieval flavor. It grew from a religious settlement, when legend tells us that a Greek monk brought the relics of St. Andrew here.
The University, as Scotland's oldest, offers a rich blending of town and gown, with more the 30% of the city's population formed by students and University staff.
The city's coastline of sandy shores and cliffs attracts a variety of sea birds and marine life. The surrounding areas invite your exploration, and include attractive villages, pastoral farmland, historic houses and small fishing communities.
St. Andrews offers a wide range of social and leisure pursuits, with local and university events featured throughout the year. There is an array of ways to spend your free time, which includes dramatic and musical performance, cinema, pubs, restaurants, cafes, and shopping. The city offers a peaceful, tranquil, unique atmosphere for students and visitors alike.
St. Andrews is particularly well-known for its humanities curriculum, with the departments of art history, English literature and language, classics, religious studies, anthropology, politics and international studies, history and philosophy offering courses of note. In the sciences, St. Andrews' strong offerings are enhanced by the the largest operational optical telescope in the UK. Additionally, courses in sustainable development and terrorism and political violence have garnered a substantial reputation for their excellence.
As an overseas student at St. Andrews, you will apply to one of the three faculties and take the bulk of your course load within that faculty. Your assigned advisor will correspond with you about the course choices which are most appropriate for you, and you will enroll in three or four courses per semester for a total of 15 hours of credit per semester, or 30 per academic year.
The Arcadia St. Andrew's Program offers two housing options. Housing is included in the program fee, however meals are not.
- Catered Residence Halls- 19 meals are provided per week (breakfast, lunch and dinner on Monday-Friday; breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday). Bed linen is provided and laundered for you. You must bring your own towels (or purchase them in St Andrews) Please note that there is an additional fee for the meal plan.
- Self-Catered Residence Halls- Shared kitchen facilities are available in each hall for students to prepare their own meals. Students must provide their own bedding and kitchen supplies, including: sheets, pillows, blankets, towels and personal crockery and cutlery. Students can purchase these items cheaply in St Andrews.
- A $500 non-refundable deposit is due to Arcadia upon acceptance and applicable toward the program fee.
- CUA tuition and balance of program fee ($4,500) is charged to the student's CUA student account.
• On-site staff support
• On-site orientation and all pre-departure advising and services in the
• Health & emergency evacuation insurance
Round-trip airfare, meals, passport, visa, field trips, supplementary course fees, excursions, and personal expenses are not included. Please contact CUAbroad for an estimated cost breakdown sheet.
CUAbroad reserves the right to make changes and raise the program cost in light of currency fluctuations or any other unforeseen circumstance.
Additional application materials to submit to Arcadia University:
- University of St. Andrews Pre-Departure Handbook
- Flight Itinerary
- CDC Country Guide
- State Department Country Guide
- Smart Traveler Enrollment Program
Students are not allowed to work on a UK student Visa
111 McMahon Hall
Mondays, Tuesdays, & Wednesdays
4 p.m. McMahon 111